Author's Note

Hopelessly, I'm taking a mental picture of you now, 'cause hopelessly the hope is that we have so much to feel good about.
- One Republic

P.S. Please feed the fish :)

Friday 3 June 2011

Singing for the Brain

Quick completely unrelated bitch. The new trailer for season 4 of Torchwood was advertised on my facebook t'other day, so obviously clicked to watch and it said I wasn't in the right country! I had to be in America to watch it ... 'SCUSE ME! Who wrote this TV show - a Briton! Who plays the main characters - Britons ... Where did this show premiere - BRITAIN!!!! SO WHY CAN'T I WATCH THE TRAILER?!!?!?!? ARRRRRGH! Stupid shitty Americans stealing our TV show *angry face*


And breath.

So yeh, what I actually came on to talk about was the completely inspirational experience I .. experienced .. yesterday. A group called Singing for the Brain, who I'd been in contact with to try and organise some sort of collaboration with the Musical Theatre Group (MTG) next year, invited me along to see what they were all about. Basically it's a group that helps sufferers of early dementia by singing and music. Initially I thought the typical thoughts that you really wish you hadn't thought of like "How do they remember to come each week?" but their carers accompany them. There are other singing volunteers there and it's just a brilliant atmosphere. I sat next to a lovely woman called Jan, who must've been nearing her 70s and she was asking me all about where I came from, what MTG does and then told me all about her grandson and her new puppy and that apparently she was a trained singer. It wasn't until the end of the session that I was told she was one of the ones that had dementia ... I would never have guessed that, she was fantastic but it is so sad to think she might not be the same Jan in a few years time :(

Anyway, after some stretches and warm up exercises we sung Singing in the Rain, Always Look On the Bright Side of Life and Beside the Seaside. I don't think I stopped smiling it was so heart-warming to see all this people, especially those more severely affected, who probably haven't even moved or spoken for the last week, singing away and doing actions to these songs. The best moment was when a man called John, who I assume had dementia, was told to go and play the piano: he just sat down, no music in front of him and played along to all the songs - actually incredible. 

I can't wait to get more involved with these people and hopefully we're going to get them to be our "special guests" in MTG's Christmas Show which would just be fantastic :)

One cool dog :P
So I should probably stop blithering away as I have a car to clean and pack before driving the 3hour drive home to see my lovely Jake dog :D and maybe do some cheeky sunbathing in the garden with him. 

Speaking of doggies I'm off to the greyhound races tonight and as luck would have it three of "my" doggies are racing - Millie, Barney and Rocky so hopefully they'll all show me their skills and win me so monies :P *fingers crossed* Although none of them look especially energetic in these pictures ...
Barney
Millie
Rocky       

Anyway, I have a lot of packing to do in very little time so I must away.
Toodles,
Cock
xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment