Author's Note

Hopelessly, I'm taking a mental picture of you now, 'cause hopelessly the hope is that we have so much to feel good about.
- One Republic

P.S. Please feed the fish :)

Sunday 17 July 2011

Harry Potter - the Final Chapter ***SPOILERS***

Ok, so I can't contain my love and whatsit for this spectacular film any longer as I think I might explode therefore I am going to proclaim my love in blog form in the hope that focusing on it will distract me from the atrocious '60s music videos my parents are watching (the songs aren't bad but the '60s TOTP sound quality is hideous ... and some of the moustaches and hair-dos are gonna haunt me forever).

Back to the Harry Potter - I remember seeing the Philosopher's Stone book for the first time when I was 9 years old - my year 4 teacher was giving us a (very misguiding) speech about not judging a book by it's cover and holding up the book she said, and I quote "Now this book has got a great front cover - very bright, original picture but you look inside ... " *flicks through pages* "... and there's no pictures!" *throws book aside* .... Needless to say this teacher has since been sacked, possibly for blasphemy against the world of Potter. So ignoring my idiot teacher, I tootled off and read the first and second books within months and was pretty much hooked from then on. I think the fact that I grew up at the same time as the characters really helped: I am one of the "Harry Potter Generation" who went to watch the films because I'd read the books and I reckon this adds to the experience and enjoyment - books never seem as good after you've seen the film.

So, I am hugely grateful to whatever force gave me the urge to spontaneously ask Cathy on Thursday morning if she wanted to see the 12:01am showing of Harry Potter and I have to say, it was completely worth it - even if just to see loads of other people dressed as various HP characters, why didn't I think of that?

Anyway! It started off brilliantly; thought it a bit slow but within minutes it got going and the action pretty much continued for the next 2.5hours. Also, I had completely forgotten about the whole breaking into Gringotts fandango and the dragon and multiplying gold so that was cool.

As far as I remember pretty much everything was accurate to the book ... although I'm sure there were more Horcruxes - there should be 7: snake, ring, diary, cup, diadem, locket and .. something else and then Harry was an accident? Will have to re-read the book.
Right ...


*UBER SPOILERS NOW - STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS*



So yeh, I had anticipated that I may shed a tear but I have to say ... I cried a lot. It was past the point of being able to use the back of my hand to wipe the odd tear away and verging on needing tissues. Snape started me off when he cried his tiny man tears - I think I am a little bit in love with him ... well Alan Rickman as him anyway - why Lily turned him down I shall never know. Once you know he's good, it makes you see him in a completely different way in the rest of the films. RIP Snape :(

This is now my desktop background
So after this initial tearful incident I just about managed to compose myself before everyone returned to the Great Hall and we see all the dead - complete breakdown on my part. Especially at Lupin - I remember my stomach dropping when I read that he died. The third book and film are my favourite of the series and Lupin has to be my favourite character - little bit annoyed that they more-or-less skipped the storyline of his and Tonks' relationship.

I think the ending was made more emotional by the the fact that, despite all the fighting and death and crap, they had more jokes and snappy one-liners than in the rest of the film ... and there are some punch the air moments i.e. when Molly Weasley kills Bellatrix Lestrange it is just awesome :P

I have just realised I sound like I know these people personally, but after 7 books and 8 films that's kinda how it feels!

I really cannot rate this film high enough - I wanted to see it again as soon as I'd left the cinema (at half 2 in the morning). Thankfully I'm going again Monday with the family which means I can then actually talk about it to my parents because at the moment I'm having to keep schtum!

Wow. This was a pretty long blog. Sorry. Night all!
Cock
xxx


p.s. after a slightly er ... unexpected dream involving Daniel Radcliffe/Harry Potter I think I might have developed a tiny crush. I'm sure it'll pass ... but in this picture, would you honestly say no? (maybe ignore the dress comment on the left)

No comments:

Post a Comment